The Giving Back Fund (GBF) has been helping successful individuals and corporations fulfill their philanthropic desires since 1997. GBF is comprised of many individually identified donor-advised funds, foundations, and fiscally sponsored projects, each with its own donor-appointed trustees and independent philanthropic interests and initiatives. Donors are able to create a charitable entity that appears to be stand-alone while still benefiting from the financial “buying power” of pooled assets, the world-class expertise of our strategic partners, and the grant-making and program design guidance of senior staff.
Each foundation or project gains immediate tax exemption as part of The Giving Back Fund’s family of charities. The Giving Back Fund’s operating model enables donors to benefit from the services of the best professional investment managers as well as experienced, highly-skilled foundation management personnel who administer donors’ charitable entity and its activities at a small fraction of what these services would otherwise cost.
In this way, philanthropic dollars go where they should go to fund the donor’s charitable intent rather than to excessive administrative overhead.
What We Offer
Our program staff works with you, your family and your advisors to identify and articulate philanthropic objectives, and then to create, fund, and manage charitable entities to accomplish your charitable mission. The scope of services available to prospective donors includes the following: Please feel free to contact us for a complimentary consultation on how we can help you achieve your philanthropic goals.
Same Day 501C3 Status For A Project Or Event
One of our most popular services is our ability to place your project or event under our existing 501c3 umbrella, thereby providing the immediate ability to receive charitable donations from others, as well as tax deductibility for your own contributions. This also allows you to avoid the cost, delays and ongoing compliance burdens of setting up your own 501c3. This arrangement is known as a “fiscal sponsorship”.
Probably the most often overlooked aspect in deciding to establish a 501c3 is the fact that each of 39 states generally requires registration prior to engaging in fundraising within that state. Importantly, “fundraising” is defined to include the mere placement of a “donate” button on your website, as well as mailers, email blasts, phone calls and other means commonly used to solicit donations, meaning that registration in all 39 states is required for most 501c3 organizations. GBF maintains registration in all 39 states, which means you don’t have to.
Other benefits of “fiscal sponsorship” include our filing of annual federal and state tax returns, conducting the required annual audit of financial statements, issuing required tax receipts for donations, accounting, banking, automatic coverage under our general liability policy and tending to a host of other federal, state and even local governmental compliance requirements.
Under this scenario, we become the legal “home” for your project or event and handle all of the day-to-day operations of your charity so that you can devote your time to promoting, serving and offering the general guidance and direction on how you wish to use your giving back dollars.
Immediate Tax Deductibility For A Giving Fund
Rather than being directly involved in a charitable project, some clients prefer establishing a segregated fund at GBF from which financial support is provided to one or more existing charities they recommend over time. This type of arrangement is called a “donor advised fund” (DAF) and evolved under IRS regulations as a simpler alternative to an individual setting up a private foundation with its own identity and tax status. Whenever you place money into your DAF created at GBF, whether on a one-time or recurring basis, you are entitled to an immediate tax deduction due to GBF’s 501c3 status, even though the funds will be granted to charities over time. If desired, your fund can be placed alongside your other investment accounts, with GBF vetting and even helping you choose the charities that are most consistent with your giving back goals.
Consulting & Services For Start-Up Projects
The professionals at GBF are adept at discerning your giving back desires and helping you turn those desires into action. We offer a full spectrum of philanthropy consulting and services, including the following:
- Philanthropy Strategy
- Project Development & Implementation
- Web Site, Social Media, Marketing & Publicity Programs
- Special Event Coordination
- Fundraising Strategy
- Celebrity Appearances
- Administration & Compliance
If you already have a 501c3 organization, but would like relief from the burdens of running it yourself, we’re here to help. We can take on virtually any or all aspects, ranging from program management, marketing and public relations, donation receipts and program expense payments, accounting, event coordination, compliance, grant-making, scholarships and everything else. If you are at a crossroads, we can provide general consulting and advice. Because of our broad base of experience, we are the perfect outsource solution, whether on a regular or as-needed basis.
Complete List Of Services
Immediate Tax Exempt Public Charity Status & Ongoing Compliance
- Provide immediate I.R.S. 501(c)(3) status to Foundation
- Provide pre-existing State Charitable Solicitation Registration in 40 jurisdictions
- File all required federal and state tax returns
- Conduct required annual audit of financial statements
- Comply with all IRS and other federal government regulations
- Comply with all other state laws regulating corporations and business
- Issue required donation receipts for tax purposes
- Guide the establishment of philanthropic objectives that reflect your values and priorities
- Identify mission-appropriate engagement opportunities
- Screen and evaluate grant making opportunities
- Design, build and execute meaningful programs and projects
- Recruit and suggest members for a strategy-oriented Board of Advisors
Strategic Consulting and Project Management
- Leverage our global network of thought leaders, influencers, philanthropists, subject matter experts and influencers to inform and support your efforts
- Develop strategic partnership strategies, identifying and developing relationships with organizations, foundations and corporations who can help advance your mission
- Implement and monitor an annual budget and operational plan
- Oversee all project activities including special events and partnerships
- Manage, monitor, evaluate and modify programs to improve effectiveness
- Lead regular reporting and planning calls
- Measure, monitor and report project progress and impact
Fundraising and Events
- Design and execute innovative fundraising strategies for sustainable and scalable impact
- Strategize special event fundraising concepts
- Help establish event budget
- Oversee the planning and implementation of special events
- Provide on-site management as needed
- Coordinate all sponsors, auction items, ticketing, event activities, etc.
- Oversee collection of monies and distributions of proceeds, if applicable
- Conduct financial reconciliation and deliver final report
Marketing & Public Relations
- Pursue media coverage and public awareness for community efforts
- Serve as contact for public (phone, email, website)
- Develop website and social media strategy and oversee implementation
- Write and distribute press releases
- Manage media, public and corporate inquiries
- Oversee the design and printing or electronic distribution of project materials like press releases, web site content, invitations, banners, marketing materials, stationery, business cards, sponsorship proposals, etc.
- Prepare and mail donation thank you letters
- Place Foundation information on The Giving Back Fund’s website and social media outlets
Administration, Financial & Legal
- Provide general liability insurance to Foundation (events may require additional insurance)
- Establish and maintain a designated bank account for the Foundation
- Provide day-to-day financial accounting and annual tax reporting for the Foundation
- Receive and deposit all donations and contributions from individuals and corporations
- Process all Foundation expenses
- Handle all banking matters
- Sign all Foundation contracts
- Provide periodic reports of revenues, expenses and cash balance
- Distribute 1099 forms to consultants
- File appropriate forms for corporate matching gifts
- Hire, manage, monitor and evaluate consultants, vendors and specialists as needed
- Develop a grant making strategy that focuses on impact
- Establish grant guidelines, distribute requests for proposals and manage grant cycles
- Review, evaluate and recommend grant requests
- Perform due diligence on potential grantees
- Distribute grants
- Oversee grant reporting and monitor effectiveness of grants
- Review and evaluate unsolicited proposals
- Identify, recruit and guide specific grant recipients
- Identify, recruit and guide grant committee if desired
- Develop custom scholarship program including applications, forms, etc.
- Advise on viability of using a third-party scholarship organization
- Ensure compliance with IRS regulations concerning potential scholarship recipients
- Review scholarship applications
- Oversee distribution of funds
- Coordinate details with scholarship recipient
- Oversee scholarship recipient reporting
- Monitor effectiveness of scholarships